The Scoop on Tornadoes
Name: _________________________________ Date: _____________
Do you remember how you felt when you first saw the tornado scene in the Wizard of Oz? For sure, a tornado is one of nature's most terrifying displays. In this activity, you'll explore how tornadoes form and how to stay safe if there's one coming.
- Go to Tornadoes: Formation and Safety Tips. Read the caption to Introduction. Where do the most destructive tornadoes come from?
- Drag the scrubber (below the picture) to the right to Formation 1. Read the caption. How do huge supercell theunderstorms begin?
- Drag the scrubber to Formation 2 and read the caption. What causes rising air to begin rotating vertically?
- What is a vortex?
- Drag the scrubber to Formation 3 and read the caption. In what region of the supercell does a tornado develop?
- Drag the scrubber to Safety Tips and read the caption. Click on the icons on the graphic. Summarize the tips for keeping safe during a tornado.
- Read this Planet Diary report Twister Swarm Batters South. Describe how clashes of contrasting air masses spawn tornadoes in the United States.
- What/where is Tornado Alley?