Thunder and Lightning
Name: _________________________________ Date: _____________
Kaboom!!! Thunder and lightning are an awesome display of nature's power. You'll find out the science behind the display in this Planet Diary activity.
- Explore how lightning forms. Summarize the steps in lightning formation.
- Scroll to Thunder. What causes thunder?
- Why do you see lightning before you hear thunder?
- Go to Look for Lightning. How does the Lightning Detection Network work?
- Look at this map of lightning strike frequency. Which colors show the highest frequency? The lowest frequency?
- Which parts of the world get the most lightning?
- Is lightning more frequent over land or over water?
- Here's a close-up view of lightning strike frequency. Form a hypothesis explaining your answer to question 7.