Sonar and Marine Mammals
Name: _________________________________ Date: _____________
Sonar uses high energy sound waves to find underwater objects. But there's evidence underwater sonar can harm whales and dolphins. You'll find out more in this Planet Diary activity.
- Read NOAA's Mass Stranding of Melon-Headed Whales report. Describe what happened in July 2004.
- What is the most likely explanation for why the whales became stranded?
- Read this Planet Diary report Court Decision Protects Whales. What did Woods Hole research suggest about the effect of Navy sonar on marine mammals?
- What evidence is there that sonar tests have been harmful?
- Read Whales Stranded in Australia. What do environmentalists think caused the Australia stranding?
- Here's another report, Dolphins Stranded in Florida. Why were sonar tests suspected in this stranding?
- Go to Lethal Sounds. Watch the video. Then scroll to How Sonar Harms Whales. Describe how sonar physically affects marine mammals.