Name: _________________________________ Date: _____________
Much of the landscape of the northern United States was carved out by glaciers. You'll find out all about glaciers in this Planet Diary activity. You'll also have a chance to make a virtual glacier grow or shrink.
- Go to Glaciers and read Introduction. Describe how glaciers help shape the landscape.
- What is the key to building glaciers?
- Describe the extent of glaciers 18,000 years ago.
- What is happening to glaciers worldwide from climate change?
- Click Overview and read Types of Glaciers. What are alpine glaciers?
- Select the other types of glaciers from the menu at the bottom. What's the difference between an ice cap and an ice sheet?
- Click the forward arrow to Anatomy of Glaciers. Read How Do Glaciers Form? What's the simple answer to this question?
- Click Model to experiment with making the glacier grow or shrink by changing the temperature and precipitation controls. Describe what happens when you change temperature and precipitation.